Monday, July 18, 2005

We joined a church!

Yesterday Jon and I joined Wedgwood. We're officially Wedgies now! Many of you know that we have visited several churches over the past month and a half, and we are very glad to finally be a part of a church. It was interesting looking for churches. We found big ones, small ones, (some as big as your 'ead!), nice ones, weird ones. I really enjoyed Willowcreek, by far the smallest church on our list. I believe that God has some really neat plans for that church, and I am glad to have at least been a part of it for a week. I also enjoyed the Bible study at Southcliff, and I think that the women in that Sunday School have a special bond that is rare.

But Wedgwood is where our puzzle piece fits the best. They have a Young Marrieds w/o Kids class, which fits us perfectly! (Not for long, if it were up to Jon!) The couples in there seem really nice, and they're working hard to start hanging out more and being involved in each other's lives, which is good. For example, this week we're going to a drive-in movie! Of course, it's not like Gatesville. This place is 18 bucks per car to get in! I think someone has a suburban, and I'm sure other people have SUVs we can all cram into. :) I don't think they'll be wanting my little Hyundai...

Also, while this has nothing to do with us, Wedgwood has this great kids program called LITs. I think that means Leaders in Training. It's for 5th and 6th graders, and they learn the importance of daily Bible study, worship, and especially evangelism. They also all have mentors in the church. This group of kids has evangelized to over 1100 kids, with about 150 salvations -- all since January! I don't know about you, but I'm not sure I've evangelized to 5 people since January, and I'm sure I haven't led anyone to Christ! These kids are very spiritually mature and really soaking up any teaching they receive. It's exciting, and reminds me a little of my 6th grade year, which was when I truly learned the importance of taking sermon notes and Bible study every day.

One way in which the LITs do have something to do with us is that this program is fairly new, and the "first class" is moving on to the youth group. They have learned the importance of having mentors, but there are no mentors. Pastor Al's sermon this week was about discipleship, and he called for people to become mentors to the graduated LITs (and any other youth that wants a mentor). Several people volunteered, including three people from our SS class. I think Jon and I would like to be involved in that, too.

Well, as you know, I really like to talk, and I just thought of about three more paragraphs, but I won't keep writing. :) But I will tell you my accomplishment for the day:
Jon and I went running this morning, and 1) he ran 1 1/2 miles without stopping and 2) I kept up with him the whole way!! Yay us! We're going to get in shape, yet. :)

2 comments:

  1. Glad you found a piece to YOUR puzzle. However I don't think you need to promote to the "w/children" class just yet. I think you have a few other pressing things going on at the moment. Plus, I just don't think my nerves could handle it right now! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Time flies when you're having fun. I'm part of this puzzle and I wouldn't be me without you! Glad you joined that day.

    ReplyDelete