Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The Last Gumbo of the Season

Fort Worth has had a cool front. Last week we had temperatures in excess of 100 degrees. Tonight it will be in the 40s. So strange.

However! That has allowed us to make gumbo one last time before the hot weather really sets in! Gumbo is best eaten on cold days, and it's just too hot to cook on hot days.

Tonight I started the roux not realizing we had no chicken to put in the gumbo, so I had to shut off the burner and make a quick dash to the store. What's gumbo without forgetting an ingredient? :) Last time I made it my parents had to pick up an onion on their way over...

So now I'm back to stirring the roux until it's a nice chocolate-y brown. And since that takes more attention than one would realize, I can't spend any more time on blogging!

6 comments:

  1. Yum! Do post your recipe when you have time! :) It's fun to have a chilly cold front and snuggle in, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did it turn out? It's cool here, too, but, alas, no time to cook gumbo! I'm jealous....

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm...when do I get to taste this gumbo?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it's cooler here too. We had hail last night! I think gumbo is an acquired taste. I dunno, it tastes funny to me. Am I not worthy to be a Dickinson since I don't like gumbo? Hey...make some more of those pickles, yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The gumbo turned out great! And Karen, I agree that it's an acquired taste. I just happened to have been exposed to it at a very young age. :) I'm always hesitant to invite people over for it, though.

    I will post the recipe, Rachel!

    A new batch of pickles will come when my cucumber plants produce!

    ReplyDelete