Thursday, January 03, 2008

Random Thursday

I learned something new yesterday. When it's below freezing outside, don't try to clean your windshield at the gas station. I successfully coated my windshield with a nice coating of ice and had to scrape it off. That was a dumb idea!

So Friday barely made it through a week without us. When we got home, he'd barely eaten in 5 days, his fur was kinda gooky like he hadn't been bathing, and he was hiding in the bathtub when we finally found him. After he realized who we were, though, he purred like crazy and dug into his food. Maybe he was fasting like Gandhi. We came home, so he could eat again. Needless to say, we're hoping Margie never goes out of town again while we're out of town, because she's the best babysitter. She will stay and play with Friday, whereas the people watching him this time just came in to fill his food bowl and leave. Thanks, Margie, for hanging out with my cat. I didn't realize he would decline so rapidly without his daily dose of love and attention!

I have an innovation for you, but you'll just have to remember it for next year. My Christmas tree is a hand-me-down from my parents. I'm not sure how old it is, but every year it loses more and more needles. And, just by being fake, it doesn't look as full as a real tree. A few years ago, my Grandma gave me green garlands to hang around the house. I put them over the doors the first year, but the next year I wondered if I could use them to supplement my tree. And it worked! The garlands look the same as the tree, with the green pine needles. So I put a garland in between each of the layers of my tree, and it gives it a much fuller look. So there you go. Maybe it's good timing for me to tell you now, so you can catch the after-Christmas sales and get you some garlands! :)

So it's the new year. 2008. Crazy. I'm still working on my resolutions. I usually don't make them, but I think this year I've decided they're important. Not that they're done at the beginning of the year, but that we have resolutions in general. If we don't have resolutions/goals toward improvement, we'll wake up five years from now and realize we're just the same (and the worse for it). My mom was telling me awhile back how she actually wrote her goals down where she could see them every day. You know, like the cheesy motivational speakers tell you to do. And I think she felt cheesy doing it, but the cool thing was that she reached her goals! Then after that, I had the opportunity to assess my work goals, and make specific directives that I would fulfill over the next year with the intent to improve myself to make me better at my job. It was nice to get some concrete goals on paper. So that's why I'm doing resolutions this year. It's good to assess where you've come, consider where you want to go, and come up with some good goals to get you there. I'm looking forward to it.

Alrighty, that's my post for the day. :) More to come!

8 comments:

  1. Wait wait wait...it was below freezing and you put cold water on your windshield???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I TOLD you it was a dumb idea! It seemed to make sense at the time....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Lydia...and poor Mr. Friday. Maybe you should take him next time? (naaahhhh)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Friday indeed. Too bad cats can't drive, Buddy could have come to visit him! I wrote up a bunch of posts last night that are about my goals and I came to a similar revelation as you about writing them down. I will post them over the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man! Some of those baby pictures you took! So precious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is anyone else putting off resolutions until the weekend so we can start them on Monday? There's just something about the 1st being in the middle of the week that throws me off. Jan. 1 should always be on Monday... first of the week, first of the year, fresh start!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! I think that might be what my problem is, too. It just feels weird to change my ways mid-week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course animals need attention. I must admit that in the past when I've pet sat, I've done a combo of the two: drive by feedings and planned visits. You can manage both. And drive-by's, as long as you spend 5 minutes with the pet, makes a world of a difference than completely ignoring them. Sometimes I was on my way in to work and it was tough, but then I saved extra time for later (such as Tim & I watching March of the Penguins with Friday Christmas 05!) Cats are especially fun to pet sit because even if the whole year you pick on them (or play with as I loving like to say) they are soooo precious when their owners have left and they meow-meow until someone pays attention to them. They think the world of you and who wouldn't want to sit and hang out when you feel that kind of love. That's it...I love that crazy cat. I sneezed all the way home the other night, but I love him!

    ReplyDelete